Moon-sighting and Reporting Guidelines
The Jamiatul Ulama South Africa has a Central Hilaal Committee that coordinates the observation of the new crescents for the determination of the start of Islamic months. This committee operating from our head offices in Fordsburg, works in liaison with other similar committees, for monthly sightings, under the auspices of the United Ulama Council of South Africa (UUCSA).
We are aware that the crescent of the Islamic month of Shawwal (Eid-ul-Fitr) usually generates a huge amount of interest in the community. The committee has therefore decided to present the following guidelines to the members of our community that scan the horizon in search of the new crescent.
1. All members of our community are encouraged to scan the horizon in search of the new crescent.
2. This year the crescent must be searched for on Saturday 24th June 2017.
3. In the event that a person sights the crescent on the night, after sunset, the Imam of the local Masjid must be contacted immediately.
4. The Imam will be required to complete the necessary procedure of taking testimony from the person/s that sight the crescent.
5. The testimony must be given in person. In this regard, arrangements must be made with the Imam to meet him in person in order to give the Shahaadah (testimony).
6. The Imam shall ask certain questions related to the sighting as well as personal details of the person/s that have sighted the crescent. The details are required for the purpose of completeness of the Shahaadah.
7. The Imam will then forward the necessary details to the Central Committee.
8. The Committee shall then consider the testimony and reach a decision.
9. A person/s that has given testimony must not announce the sighting to his community, family, etc. until a decision has been reached by the committee and announced.
10. For all information and queries regarding this matter kindly call our office on: 011 373 8000
E. I. Bham (Moulana)
Jamiatul Ulama South Africa
Central Hilaal Committee